Are you an experienced researcher in the field of Neuronal Encoding / Neuromodulation / Systems Neuroscience? Do you want to expand your excellence in research and teaching? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).Location:
We are seeking talented investigators in the field of Neuronal Encoding, Neuromodulation and Systems Neuroscience. Within this field, your work has an emphasis on the role of neuromodulatory systems and cell types in behavior. At VU, you get the opportunity to develop an independent and innovative research program using rodent models. More specifically, you study mechanisms of neuronal encoding of behaviorally relevant signals to guide goal-directed behaviors and the role of neuromodulatory systems. These rodent models give us an opportunity to better understand human brain disorders.
Do you have ample experience with state-of-the-art techniques, such as in vivo neurophysiological recordings, fluorescent reporters of neuromodulator signalling, cell type-specific calcium imaging during behavior, opto-/chemogenetics, and viral tracing? Then this opportunity may be a good fit for you. Your research program at VU complements existing expertise within the department, for which significant infrastructure is in place and start-up operating funds will be provided to you.Your duties
- you develop innovative, externally funded independent research programs that augment existing priorities
- you publish your research in high quality scientific journals
- you contribute to research in the NWO Gravitation consortium ‘Brainscapes’
- you supervise graduate students
- you contribute to undergraduate teaching, both at bachelor as well as master level
- you have completed a PhD in Neuroscience, or in a related field
- you have at least three years of postdoctoral research training, outside the institute where you obtained your PhD degree
- you have a strong publication record
- you have been able to acquire research funding
- you have a proven ability for academic supervision and training of students
- you have a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO). If not, you are willing to obtain one within the first two years of your career track
- you master the English language at CEFR C1/C2 level
- although not a requirement at the date of appointment, we expect you to reach CEFR B2 level in Dutch within the tenure track period
What are we offering?
A challenging position in a socially involved organization with a focus on excellence in science and education. On a full-time basis, the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross salary of € 3.974 (scale 11) and a maximum of € 5.439 (scale 11), depending on your level of education an experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1.0 fte.
We offer a Career Track position at the level of Assistant Professor. A career plan to grow to a tenured position (profile Universitair Docent 1) in a period of 6 years will be made and formalized in a Career Track agreement. This agreement will contain 3 evaluation moments: after 15 months, mid-term, and after 5 years. After successful evaluation at 15 months, permanent employment will be granted.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 30,000 students. We employ over 5,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.Diversity
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to more than 11,000 students.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 15-9-2022.
When short-listed for the position, an in-person interview and presentation at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam in Fall 2022 will be required.
The following supporting documents are required (please submit as single pdf):
- a cover letter & curriculum vitae
- statement of research
- the names and contact information of three refereesApplications received by e-mail will not be processed.Vacancy questions
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Huib Mansvelder
Position: Professor/head section
E-mail: email@example.comNo agencies