The Department of Art & Culture, History, and Antiquity at the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, is looking for a specialist who combines expertise in the spatial digital methods and techniques with the historical sciences, in particular archaeology, heritage studies, history, or art history. We are interested both in the representation of the past in the present and the use of spatial digital methods and techniques in research into and management of the past. The successful candidate will contribute to the broadening and strengthening of the department’s profile in digital humanities by develop his/her own line of teaching and research in the spatial approaches to the past. Location:
The appointee will contribute to shaping research and teaching in the field of Digital Archaeology and Heritage. He or she will incorporate digital spatial analysis such as GIS and/or network analysis into teaching within the history, archaeology, heritage studies and/or art history programs. In addition, the appointee is expected to reflect critically on the representations of the past and on the use of spatial digital methods and techniques in the historical sciences and to cooperate with colleagues in teaching and research. He or she will help train a new generation of students competent in digital spatial analysis who can contribute to digital heritage management, co-design, predictive modelling, or digital science communication in the field of historical sciences.Your duties
- creating a stimulating learning environment for students of all levels (bachelor’s, master’s, PhD)
- conducting innovative research and publishing its results in relevant national and international forums
- strengthening spatial digital humanities within the historical sciences
- applying for and acquiring external research funding
- PhD preferably in archaeology, heritage studies, history, or art or architectural history; integrated use of spatial digital methods is a plus
- experience with application of spatial digital methods in research within the historical sciences, ability to incorporate these methods into the curriculum, and active understanding of the impact of spatial digital approaches on the humanities
- research output appropriate to the level of the position, demonstrated by publication record where appropriate
- relevant teaching experience within one of the aforementioned fields, supported by good evaluations
- in possession of the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) or equivalent, or willing to obtain this within the foreseeable future
- excellent command of English (near-native fluency). International candidates are expected to acquire a working knowledge of Dutch within two years and will be supported in doing so
What are we offering?
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor initially for the duration of 5 years. Tenure can be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. For the duration of the tenure track, performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, attempts to acquire research funding either individually or in consortia, academic service and valorisation.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3,974 (scale 11) and a maximum of € 5,439 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system: Assistant Professor 2 and is vacant for 1 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various
schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 30,000 students. We employ over 5,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.Diversity
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities links a number of fields of study: Language, Literature and Communication, Art & Culture, History, Antiquities and Philosophy. Our teaching and research focus on current societal and scientific themes: from artificial intelligence to visual culture, from urbanization to the history of slavery, from ‘fake news’ in journalism to communication in organizations. We strive to ensure small group sizes. Innovative education and interdisciplinary research are our hallmarks.
Working at the Faculty of Humanities means making a real contribution to the quality of leading education and research in an inspiring and personal work and study climate. We employ more than 400 staff members, and we are home to around 2,000 students.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until June 9, 2023. Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.Vacancy questions
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Professor Jan Paul Crielaard
Position: Full Professor
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgNo agencies