Are you enthusiastic about scientific research with impact? Would you like to support researchers in their valorisation efforts? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).Location:
0,8 - 1
As a Business Developer Health & Life Sciences at VU, you support researchers in creating impact with their research. You explore market opportunities for the research results of, among others, the Faculty of Science. Thanks to your experience, you know better than anyone how to assess the market opportunities of a research project. You can guide the researcher in their steps towards the market.
Business Development is not a ‘one size fits all’ approach. This means a lot of variation in your work. Sometimes, you work together with a team to create a strong business case for a new spin-off company. The next day, you introduce the researcher to the right network, where the innovation can be taken forward and become of value to society. You are the first point of contact for academic researchers as they aim to bring their research product to market. In addition, you are a liaison officer for the faculty and the central organisation.
With their scientific knowledge, researchers are increasingly at the basis of social innovations. At VU, we work toward a better world through education, research and knowledge transfer. As a Business Developer Health & Life Sciences, you are part of IXA-GO, the knowledge transfer office of VU. Your work contributes to the impact our researchers make!Your duties
- screening & scouting new ideas and inventions within the institutes of the faculty
- identifying patentable inventions and providing support in the patenting process. You do this in close collaboration with a patent attorney
- negotiating license deals and collaborations with external partners, in close collaboration with our legal department
- coaching researchers in the process of starting a spin-off company, and acquiring initial funding for the spin-off (e.g. via proof-of-concept funding).
- facilitate external collaboration (PPP) of researchers and support in involving non-academic partners in consortia.
- liaise with the management of the Faculty of Science and the different relevant institutes, concerning e.g. the Valorisation and Impact strategy of the faculty
- stay up to date with relevant developments in the field of Health & Life Science, Valorisation and Impact and society
- have a Master/PhD in the field of Life Sciences, and/or a MBA
- have an eye for promising research in (mainly) the field of Health & Life Sciences. You have the ambition to bring this research successfully to the market
- have proven experience with public-private partnerships, IP and licensing agreements
- are pro-active, entrepreneurial and have a service mentality
- act as a natural connector between research and business
- get energy from facilitating and coaching start-ups
- have an excellent knowledge of Dutch and English in speech and writing
What are we offering?
IXA-GO offers you a challenging position within a professional and motivated team for an initial period of one year. An extension of your employment contract is possible subject to good performance.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,974 (scale 11) and a maximum €6,181 (scale 12), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university ranking system (UFO) of Knowledge Valorisation Officer (2/3) and is open for at least 0,8 fte.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
- space for personal development
- hybrid working enables a good work-life balance
And most importantly, due to the very nature of your work, you are involved in many different smart innovations that help society move forwards. You will develop yourself at a phenomenal rate and strengthen your network.
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 30,000 students. We employ over 5,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.Diversity
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.Institutional Affairs
The Administration Office provides strategic advice and integrated support to the Executive Board (CvB, idem) of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Moreover, we work closely with university faculties and the other VU service departments to implement the administrative agenda and to set institutional strategy. We are responsible for providing legal advice, setting the university’s research policy and for Public Affairs. We provide process-based support for policy and decision-making, and we are closely involved in a number of strategic dossiers. The Administration Office also promotes university-wide governance, control and compliance, and we are responsible for PhD defence ceremonies, professorial appointments and other academic functions.
Working at the Administration Office means being involved in the day-to-day management, strategy and policy of our university, together with an extensive network of internal and external stakeholders. We employ 66 individuals (59 FTE) in the departments of Policy and Administrative Support, Administrative and Legal Affairs, Secretarial Support, and Document Management and Archive.
At VU IXA-GO we support researchers at the VU in the process of acquiring external funding for their research, protecting and utilising the results of the research, up to the launch of a successful spin-off company. With our expertise, open mindedness, enterprising spirit and multidisciplinary approach, we work on developing sustainable solutions that impact society. Our growing team consists of Grants Officers, Business Developers, a M&C Manager and recently we have set up the Biotech Booster Project Office based at the VU Starthub.
VU IXA-GO is part of the Pan-Amsterdam collaboration IXA, which is the Knowledge Transfer Office of VU Amsterdam, Amsterdam UMC, the University of Amsterdam and the Amsterdam University of Applied Science (https://www.ixa.nl)
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 04/10/2022
. The job interviews are planned for mid October, when possible please take them into account when applying for the position.Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.Vacancy questions
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Bettina Zijlstra
Position: Head of Department VU IXA-GO
Telephone: +31 20 59 89905No agencies