Are you an excellent and ambitious Computer Science researcher? Is your aim to research novel approaches for software-intensive systems where energy-efficiency is paramount? Then we at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam would like to get to know you.Location:
0.8 - 1
You have a proven track record in Computer Science and would like to advance your research in modern software-intensive systems to address energy efficiency among other quality properties. You initiate, perform and supervise high-quality research that aims to address the increasing energy consumption of modern software-intensive systems and applications. Your aim is to study novel solutions and empirically evaluate their impact.
Because we want to increase the number of women in our department, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply for this position. In case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to female candidates.Your duties
The tenure track position is starting at the level of assistant professor in the areas of research, education, and management (40%, 40%, 20%, respectively), and contains among others the following duties:
- you develop your own research line and profile your research around it
- you acquire and contribute to externally funded research projects
- you teach courses in the BSc and MSc Computer Science curriculum, and supervise students
- you assist in the supervision of Ph.D. students and contribute to the management of the group or the department
- you have a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar area
- you have affinity with environmental awareness and are able to do research on energy-efficient computing in combination with other areas that we study. Examples may include, but are not limited to, software services, datacenter hosting, high performance computing, large-scale distributed services, and edge-to-cloud software applications
- you have experience with experimental and empirical research
- you have a very good publication track record, and have published in top conferences and journals as the lead-author
- you have good interpersonal communication skills
- you have teaching and/or student supervision experience at BSc and/or MSc programs level
- you preferably have experience in supervising Ph.D. projects and have supervised BSc and/or MSc theses
- you have experience with (or good prospects for) acquiring external research funding
- you have an excellent command of the English language
What are we offering?
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the Job area: Assistant Professor Educational Level: Postdoc VU unit: Faculty of Science Contract type: Temporary with prospects of permanent employment Minimum FTE: 0.8 Minimum salary €3,746 (scale 11) Maximum salary €5,127 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: Assistant Professor 2 is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of Assistant Professor 1 (scale 12) in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment, the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after the starting date.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.Diversity
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
About the department
The department of Computer Science has approximately 170 staff members, including 35 tenured staff and 40-50 Ph.D. students. Much of the research with the department is embedded in the Network Institute of Vrije Universiteit, covering beyond Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence disciplines such as Social Sciences, Humanities, and Economics. The Department also actively participates in Amsterdam Data Science, a collaboration between more than 600 data science researchers from different institutions in Amsterdam.
This position fills a vacant role in the High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC) group. Within the department, several groups are further involved in this position, in particular the Massivizing Computer Systems group and the Software and Sustainability group.
The department explicitly encourages inter- and cross-disciplinary research, and expects
successful candidates to collaborate with colleagues in other fields of Computer Science, as well as with colleagues from other disciplines such as those participating in the Network Institute and in Amsterdam Data Science.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload in the online application-system your curriculum vitae, 2-3 references that we may contact, research and teaching statements (at most 2 pages for each), the 2-3 publications that best exemplify the quality and direction of your research, and a cover letter motivating your application. Please apply until 15 September 2021.Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.Vacancy questions
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof.dr. Henri Bal
Position: Full Professor
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgRelocation support
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Sara Veldhorst
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 86212No agencies