Full Professor IT in Accounting
Full Professor IT in Accounting
FTE: 0.8- 1
Job descriptionIn order to further strengthen our research and teaching in IT and digitization in our accounting programmes we are seeking a new talented Full Professor.
The Chair will be located within the Accounting department, with close connections with the master and post-graduate accounting programmes offered by the School of Accounting. The Chair is responsible for developing a common body of knowledge on IT in Accounting that is not only coherent across successive accounting programmes (BSc, MSc, Postgraduate) but also addresses the IT and digitization specifics of the variety of accounting functions for which we educate our students (for example [IT]Auditor, [Public]Controller, Compliance & Integrity Manager). The Chair is expected to address topics like the use of data analytics for decision making and control, the physical/virtual IT and data infrastructure, the role of big data in auditing financial and nonfinancial information, and internal controls to safeguard data security and data integrity.
- develop an original research agenda within the area of IT in Accounting motivated by and applied to the development of accounting in organizations
- lead and work in a multi-disciplinary high performing research group
- contribute to the design and delivery of teaching across undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate programmes
- engage in setting up collaborations with other departments and faculties, especially computer and data science, at the VU as well as with other universities in the Netherlands and abroad, both with respect to new teaching programmes and to research initiatives and grant applications
- has a PhD and a strong track record in IT-focused accounting research (for instance big data and accounting approach, automated audit evidence collection etc), proven by recent publications in leading international scientific journals, professional publications, and in authored or edited books with established academic publishers
- is able to lead independent original research and contribute significantly to the Department’s research programme. Specifically, the candidate should have the ability to work as part of a team, mentor junior researchers, apply for research grants, and supervise PhD students
- is an inspiring teacher with experience in both large- and small-group teaching. He/she should be able to teach students with various backgrounds, like MSc, MBA, MPhil, PhD, and BSc
- is able to relate effectively with practitioners, both in teaching as well as through research. He/she should be able to translate insights from research into recommendations and applications for practitioners and in executive teaching
- has a strong national and international network, evident in joint work, invitations to address conferences, editorial work, and participation in international workshops or conferences
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €5,749 (H2)
What are we offering?
and a maximum €8,371 (H2), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 5 years, with the prospect of a contract for an indefinite period.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavour – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
School of Business and Economics
The School of Business and Economics (SBE) provides high-quality education and excellent research in business administration and economics with a focus on contributing to the social, economic and ecological challenges of our time. Whether it is the use of robots in society or big data, labour market participation or flexibility in the labour market, traffic jams or the housing market, flash crashes in the stock market or choice behaviour in gambling, leadership or change management: we believe in goal-oriented scientific research and understand that progress in academics, the business community and society is achieved through cooperation, openness and social responsibility.
At SBE, all of our highly-motivated colleagues work together closely in a stimulating, dynamic and international environment to achieve our collective goal of encouraging society to make informed choices. Approximately 4,200 Bachelor’s and Master’s students and 1,700 executive students are enrolled at the School, and employs roughly 500 people.
The department of Accounting is a medium sized group of around 40 academics (26 fte). We are active in areas like auditing, bookkeeping, financial accounting, management accounting, management control, regulation, compliance, tax, and corporate law. We teach in all SBE bachelor programmes as well as in the master programmes Business Administration and Accounting and Control. Our research is concentrated in the Amsterdam Research Center in Accounting (ARCA). In ARCA, we conduct high quality fundamental research as well as applied research. We aim to publish our results in premier, peer-reviewed international journals. We also reach out to the business community in communicating our research findings in executive programmes and in professional journals.
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload
a detailed resume containing educational data, a list of publications, teaching experience and evaluations, administrative experience as well as any other information that may be relevant for the position and cover letter until March 11, 2021.
The candidate may be requested to deliver a sample lecture as part of the selection process.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. T.L.C.M. Groot
Position: Head of the department Accounting
The positioning report for this position can be obtained from;
Name: Ms. S.Schut, HR advisor of School of Business and Economics